After you've set it up, finally landing the interview: the close-before-the-close
Controlling what newspaper & magazine interviewers quote
- Facts: the journalist's five "w's" and "h"
- Written sketch of your character
- Additional Publicity
- Publicity photo
- Audio and
- Joke Sheet
- Interview with any reporter: do this as a planned comedy performance
You are not obligated to answer any question asked
Controlling your delivery to say what you mean to say
How electronic media differ from live performance
Suppose a paranoid DJ asks you not to be funny?
- "Dead Air"
- It's just joke-joke-joke!!!
Set up lines during interviews
- Nutty interviewers: their true value to you
- Standards: clubs vs. media
Turning interviewer questions to your advantage!!!
Typical "Dumb" Interviewer Questions: answer with jokes!!!
When to Play to:
Only the Host vs. Only the Listening Audience
Things the interviewer wants from you before the show
Handling any interviewer's expected & unexpected questions
- Interviewers have different personal interviewing styles
- Format: one piece of paper that will help the DJ/Host
HOMEWORK you do, or die on-the-air
- Play to the people who count: the thousands listening to this broadcast!
for Radio Show"
- Automatically memorizing an interview act
Tape the whole show!!!
- Advanced drill
Without any hesitation whatsoever
- Only write using specific joke forms
Unlike live performance, now all laughs must come 90% from the writing
- Ideal panel set for your first time being interviewed on
"The Tonight Show" or "Late Show with David Letterman"
Before every broadcast, to get yourself up to the tempo: do this
What TV requires beyond radio interviews: keep selling your persona, even when the other guy is talking!
Good Answers to Tough
Questions: form to copy & fill out
How to Get Lots of
Practice Doing Broadcast Interviews
. . .
. . . Without Ever
Having to Leave Your House
If you have "call-waiting," then you must defeat it
How to tape call-in interviews when outside their signal
Finding time to do everything
Techniques that can help get your anecdotes across in the short amount of air-time you have to make your point
- The Volcano
The best talk show guest in the history of television
- Callback jokes
- Getting propelled onto the stage
- Word Stitching,
- Defending yourself
Private Comedy Library--
- Interviewing is the supreme test of comic technique
- Talk show hosting is a wide-open field for comics
- Local TV cable access
- Hosting slot on "America's
- Pre-requisites: order
Jim's home study materials, plus annual fee
- How to borrow
Library card: form to copy & fill out
- List of books relevant to doing Interviews
- Sample newspaper interviews
- "How to" audio
- Examples of successful Interviews
Handling the problem interviewer who gets nervous and interrupts
COMEDY Audio/Workbooks in Jim's home study series
- Writing to always end on the punch word within joke forms,
joke formats and premise routines for interview situations
last updated: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 8:04 pm
Copyright © 1997-2013History of Coach